Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children is working to ensure that each birthing person and child has the opportunity for affordable access to quality health care.
Everyone, especially children and individuals during pregnancy into the postpartum period, should have health insurance and access to quality health care necessary for healthy birth outcomes, improved physical and mental health of a new mother, and a child’s healthy development into adolescence and through adulthood.
PPC’s perinatal and child health policy agenda aims to close gaps for those without health insurance by expanding eligibility and strengthening benefits—including physical and mental health services—and increasing access to nutritious food.
Perinatal and Child Health Policy Goals
- Extend access to prenatal and postpartum services within Medicaid and CHIP for pregnant adults to ensure expecting mothers, infants and toddlers start and stay healthy.
- Build on the success of Medicaid and CHIP to ensure every Pennsylvania child is insured.
- Promote positive health outcomes for children directly from Medicaid, CHIP and the Affordable Care Act.
- Ensure children enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP have adequate benefits to meet their needs and receive the well-child visits, immunizations, and screenings necessary for their healthy development and access to mental health and dental health services.
- Promote efforts to identify and prevent lead exposure in children to ensure their healthy development.
- Advance policies that support children identified with developmental delays and disabilities through early intervention programs while also providing ongoing support to parents and providers.
- Increase access to healthy nutrition for women and young children to ensure healthy development.
- Health Insurance Options for Pennsylvania Families
Health Insurance Options for Pennsylvania Children
Pennsylvania families turn to Medicaid, CHIP, and Pennie™ for no-cost or low-cost health insurance options.
Even families with higher incomes, who don’t qualify for Medicaid or financial assistance, can opt to purchase a CHIP health insurance plan through the state’s buy-in program.
Families can enroll their children in Medicaid and CHIP year-round and get the peace of mind of knowing they’re covered.
Medicaid 1-866-550-4355 or online
CHIP 1-800-986-KIDS (5437) or online
Pennie™ 1-844-844-8040 or online
Health Care Publications
Thriving PA Campaign
The wellbeing of Pennsylvania’s families depends on mothers, infants, and toddlers having equitable access to quality health and nutrition supports.
PPC is a partner of the non-partisan statewide Thriving PA campaign that seeks to improve the quality of and increase equitable access to a coordinated system of health supports, including access to comprehensive perinatal health services, children’s health insurance, nutrition supports, and lead screening and abatement.
To learn more, visit thrivingpa.org.
Be a Voice for Kids
Stay up-to-date about our public policy work in this and other areas by signing up to receive our biweekly e-newsletter, “A Voice for Kids.”